Process Of Colon Cancer Surgery

The key part of the digestive tract is a colon. The colon enables the body to absorb nutrients, water, and minerals. Another function of the colon helps the body get rid of its waste food particles and undigested substances in the kind of stool. The amount of the colon is approximately six feet and constitutes the significant part of the large intestine. At the end of the large intestine are the rectum and the anal canal.

When cancer occurs in the cells of the colon, it’s called the’Colon Cancer’. This kind of cancer is common and is found in both women and men. It’s been estimated that nearly 110,000 people in America alone are diagnosed with colon cancer each year.

Generally, 95% of colon cancers are of the adenocarcinomas type and the rest 5% are of less common cell types including neuroendocrine tumors, gastrointestinal stromal tumors, carcinoid tumors, lymphomas, melanomas, leiomyosarcoma, and signet ring cell tumors.

Image result for colon cancer

For effective treatment for the patient that the doctor needs to examine the extent or the stage of cancer and then decide about the course of treatment to be followed. If tumors must be removed as a result of colon cancer, then resection surgery also referred to as the partial or hemicolectomy is preferred as treatment.

The resection surgery is a major surgery and requires the surgeon to enter the stomach through a large incision in the abdominal wall. The section of the colon or rectum that’s diseased is eliminated along with the lymph nodes and a few pieces of the colon. After removal, the two healthy ends are reattached again.

The purpose of the surgeon doing the colon cancer surgery is to earn the patient to return to the most normal bowel function whenever possible.

In the wake of the surgery, some cells are removed from the lymph nodes and delivered to the laboratory for pathological examination. The operation of the lymph nodes would be to run the flow of a fluid called the”lymph” to the cells in the body.

Usually, cancer cells have a tendency to collect in the lymph nodes, therefore it’s an excellent indicator for determining cancer and how far it has spread. The possibility of this cancer reoccurring can also be reduced following the removal of the lymph nodes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *